Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Getting Started

Welcome to the In Frequency blog! I hope you'll visit often. We'll be talking about all kinds of new music issues here, posting and commenting on dispatches from the new music world and and examining the new music scene here in LA.

How does new music fit into the concert world? Who's the audience? What's the repertoire, what's its reputation, and are those two related at all? Is it true, as Allan Kozinn recently wrote in the New York Times, that "drums are the new violins"? Can we assess complex new music on first hearing? What are the best ways to reach new audiences, and who are the most likely new audience members - are they classical music people, are they people with a significant interest in other performance genres, are they artists themselves?

I'm Andrea Moore. With violinist Tereza Stanislav, I co-direct the In Frequency concerts. I love the process of programming concerts - among other things, it keeps me current, and also allows me to explore a lot of music from the last 50-60 years that I don't know. I love handing a really gnarly score over to the musicians we work with, knowing that they'll play the hell out of it on concert night. And I love connecting with the small but passionate audience for the more recent repertoire, people who feel, maybe, that as former San Francisco Opera general director Pamela Rosenberg once put it, "Difficult times call for difficult music".

Hope to hear from you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment